How to Word the Wedding Invitation for Guests with Special Degrees

Q: We have invited a judge, several lawyers and a university professor to our wedding. Is there a special way to address them on the invitations?

A: Yes, guests with special degrees should be addressed as such. For a judge, write The Honorable Susan Smith on the outer envelope and Judge Smith on the inner envelope. An attorney’s invitation may be addressed to either Martin Hall, Esq., or—as you would your other guests—Mr. Martin Hall. On the inner envelope simply write Mr. Hall. The outer envelope of a professor’s invitation may be addressed to Jean Kelly, Ph.D. or Professor Jean Kelly. On the inner envelope, write either Dr. Kelly or Professor Kelly.

Q: What is the correct way to address an invitation to a couple when the wife holds a Ph.D.?

A: The outer envelope should have her name on the first line and her husband’s on the second line and is addressed as such:

Dr. Jean Kelly
Mr. Bradley Kelly
358 Birch Drive
Roselle, New Jersey 07078

The inner envelope does not include first names or addresses and simply reads: Dr. Kelly and Mr. Kelly.

<< More Wedding Invitation Etiquette Advice