Wedding Weight-Loss: 20 Pounds Down, 60 to Go

I am extremely proud to say that I am now down 20 pounds! When I woke up on Sunday and weighed myself, it was one of the best feelings in the whole world. Now, I still have about 60 more to go, but this is such great motivation to keep it going.

I had a pretty laid-back weekend, mostly because I am staying sober and sticking to my new diet. On Friday night, Rene and I went out with another couple to The Nautical Mile in Freeport, NY, and I was the designated driver. It was a beautiful night, and I enjoyed myself anyway — no cocktails needed! On Saturday, I woke up and went to the gym and did 45 minutes of cardio split between the elliptical and the treadmill. Rene cooked me breakfast when I got home (two over-easy eggs and three pieces of turkey bacon) — he is the best breakfast chef ever!

eggs and turkey bacon

I cleaned my apartment, got a car wash, visited my dad, sister and nephew, and then went to the mall to find a dress for my engagement party. Shopping was unsuccessful. I went to two department stores and didn’t find a thing I liked. I did, however, fall in love with a dress from Rent the Runway. I ordered it (they send two sizes to ensure a good fit), but it'll only arrive two days before my party, so I'm pretty nervous about that. I'm still searching for a backup dress just in case. You’ll get to see what I choose when I post pictures from the party!

On Sunday, Rene and I had our workout with Bonne Marcus. I was so happy to see that I had lost seven pounds in the past three weeks and a combined total of 20 pounds since I began this journey! The workout this week was extremely difficult — she changed it up on us yet again. She added more exercises on the gliders I was telling you about (they look like Frisbees), such as lunges, mountain climbs and tucks (see below). These were not easy! You need to start in a plank position and pull your knees to your chest, then go back out again. Even though I was sore half way through the workout, it felt awesome to get back on track.

exercises on glider

rene exercising

Monday, July 29
I was so sore when I woke up this morning! Every single muscle in body hurt. I did, however, get up at 5 a.m. and pushed myself to the gym for a half hour of cardio. I love morning workouts — it feels so good to know you're already done for the day! And thank God for that, because I wore heels to work and could barely make it up the stairs. Thanks a lot, Bonne!

When I got to work, I had two hard-boiled eggs and coffee with Truvia sweetener and unsweetened almond milk. I was extra hungry from my morning workout, so I packed raw almonds to snack on before lunch. For lunch, I brought a veggie burger, smashed cauliflower (so good!) and sautéed snow peas. I also had two Wasa crackers and hummus to snack on.

I came home and Rene was cooking dinner — what a man, right?!? Dinner tonight was Grilled Chicken with Spinach and Melted Mozzarella from (we used reduced-fat provolone instead), and a side of quinoa. 

Tuesday, July 30
I’m still super sore, like can-barely-lift-my-water-bottle sore. I got to work and had my usual breakfast of champions. For lunch, I ate a veggie burger with leftover quinoa and spinach, along with Wasa crackers and hummus. Dinner tonight was sausage and lentil soup. I chopped up the veggies this morning before I left for work (onion, carrot and garlic), and Rene made the soup before I got home. It's extremely filling and very healthy, as it only contains crumbled turkey sausage, lentils, vegetables and fat-free chicken broth.

Our plan was to complete our new workout from Bonne tonight, but I had a little injury on my commute home. Some lady literally walked into me on the stairs in Penn Station, and I cut and banged up my toe. I was bleeding a little bit and my foot is now black and blue, but I’ll live. Needless to say, I skipped out on the workout this evening.

Wednesday, July 31
I woke up and went to the gym at 5 this morning and did 10 minutes on the bike and 20 on the elliptical. After my shower, I prepared the tilapia that I planned to make for dinner 
— that way, I could just throw it in the oven when I got home later. I put some fresh garlic, olive oil, oregano and a small amount of whole wheat breadcrumbs on it. Delicious!

I had two hard-boiled eggs and a cup of green tea for breakfast, and for lunch, I ate leftover soup from last night and some carrots.

Before dinner, I went through my routine from Bonne. It was tough, but I got through it. After working out, I cooked the tilapia with asparagus and was sleeping by 10 p.m.!

Thursday, August 1
I can’t believe it's August already. This summer has really flown by!

Before I left for work this morning, I went into Rene’s car and stuck about 50 Post-its all over the place, each one saying a reason why I love him or a thing I love about him. I saw the idea on Pinterest and just loved it, and so did Rene! I wrote them out at work yesterday, and it was nice to reflect on all of the reasons, because there are so many, I can’t even count how many.

reasons why i love you

I went to dinner tonight with some of my girlfriends to celebrate the summer birthdays. We went for sushi, and I had a few pieces of sashimi and a garden salad on the side. I really wanted a cocktail but decided it was not a good idea to fall off the diet plan. I’m off from work tomorrow, so I’m looking forward to sleeping in later than 4:45 a.m.!

Friday, August 2
I woke up this morning at 8:30! I went to the gym and did 45 minutes of cardio — 30 on the elliptical and 15 on the treadmill. After the gym, I went to the mall with my mom to find shoes for my engagement party (which was a success), and then we went back to the house and laid out in the pool with one of my girlfriends. For lunch, I had turkey breast with a slice of cheddar cheese and some couscous salad.

Later on that night, I went over to my girlfriend's so she could help me cut out gift tags for my engagement party favors. I still have a lot more to do, but it makes it much easier with the help of my friends! When I got home, Rene had made shrimp stir-fry for dinner, and we just relaxed the rest of the night. Tomorrow morning is our session with Bonne, so I’ll keep you posted!

—Jennifer Crow